- 1 pound pork andouille sausage, sliced crosswise 1/3 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 green bell peppers, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups long-grain white rice (1 pound)
- 1 (28-ounces) can diced tomatoes
- 3 1/2 cups water
Let’s get cooking!
Cook sausage in oil in a wide 6-to 8-quart heavy pot over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden-brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
Cook peppers, celery, onion, scallions, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in fat remaining in pot, stirring occasionally, until golden-brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in rice, sausage, tomatoes with their juice, water, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bring to a rolling boil.
Reduce heat and cook at a bare simmer, covered tightly with lid, until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
Fluff rice with a fork.